Thursday, May 1, 2014

Post 1

After many moons, I decided to repurpose my blog.  As is fitting since I'm not who I was when I started.

The years have found me with a bachelor's degree followed by full time work at one of the largest academic medical centers / county hospital system in the US.  I've been exposed to a range of amazing physician and administrative mentors, a medical specialty that greatly suits what I believe my life goals to be, as well as innumerable side projects and endeavors.  Now I have not only a national network of colleagues and peers but a spectacular group of individuals that has long eclipsed the role of friends to become my extended family.  I have been afforded the privilege to spread my wings. And, in a few months, will be flying to my next step.

A Master's in Public Health! Yay!

While I think my family may be confused (and or concerned), it's not so much a detour as a lovely transition into med school -which remains on the plate.  That said, I can easily see myself becoming enamored with public health and taking a few years to explore the (vast) good that could be done.

The entire (overwhelming) application process, and subsequent (limited) decision making process, has forced me to not only think in abstracts but also verbalize, to commit on (virtual) paper, the when where why and how of what I want to do with my life.

It has forced me to question my personal ideals and goals.

It has forced me to be realistic about my capabilities.

I have questioned myself, my peers, value systems, medical systems, political systems, healthcare systems.

So, with equal parts excitement and sheer terror, in a few months I relocate!  And with open arms I embrace the opportunity to learn everything that I can.  The opportunity to be inspired by others.  To collaborate on projects -not just for my personal agendas, but to be a part of theirs too.  To continue understanding and redefining myself, what I hope to accomplish for my home and for every community I exist in,  where I hope to be in ten years, and the journey there.

Onwards, and upwards. Always.

No comments: